There is no doubt that many Rubi families lived in northern New Mexico Territory during the 17th and 18th centuries. One need only review published census and Catholic church records to know this to be true. The Rubi surname appears frequently in territorial census records dating back to the 1700’s. It is important to mention that the name Rubi was not always recorded as Rubi on the records. It was written as Rubi, Ruvi, Ruby, Rubio, Rubin, Rubi de Celis, and Rubin de Celis. It is well known in the world of genealogy that information was often recorded in a subjective, rather than objective manner. The language barrier was also a major factor.
Note: The extractions included throughout this website are typed exactly as written. My spelling/typing isn’t as bad as it appears to be!
Our Earliest Known Rubi Ancestors
The search for our ancestry has taken us to New Mexico territory when a man by the name of Jose Maria Ruvi marries Juana Ruiz in 1806 at Isleta Cathedral (Diocese of Gallup). These two people are our first known ancestors. I have a copy of a handwritten document written in Spanish that was extracted by Daria Landress (2004). I have also found numerous records that list Jose Maria Ruvi and Juana Ruiz as the parents of Cruz Rubi (my great-grandfather) and his son, Jose de Jesus Rubi (my grandfather)
The following entry was extracted from ISLETA MARRIAGES 1726 -1846 AASF #37 Frame 600
“no date 1806 – Jose Maria Ruvi, s/unknown, m. Juana Ruiz, d/Lorenzo Ruiz y Urbana Ydalgo, all of Pajaritio. Pad: Jose Antonio Chavez y Juana Chavez”
Jose Maria Ruvi
At the time of this writing, we know very little about Jose Maria Ruvi. His parents are not listed on this marriage document. We do know, however, that he is our ancestor. His name appears on numerous entries in the Isleta Marriage and Baptismal Records (Diocese of Gallup), and census records in New Mexico and Arizona territories. He is always listed as Abuelo Paterno (Paternal Grandfather) of Cruz Rubi’s children. His wife, Juana Ruiz is always listed as Abuela Materno (Maternal Grandmother).
Juana Ruiz was the daughter of Lorenzo Toribio Ruiz and Maria Barbara Hidalgo. We know that she had at least one sister whose name was Maria Juliana Ruiz. Maria Juliana married Jose Saavedra, son of Flugencio Sabedra and M. Garcia (all of Pajarito) on August 30, 1809.
More About Jose Maria Ruvi and Juana Ruiz
We have located records for at least four children of Jose Maria Ruvi and Juana Ruiz. Their names were Gregorio, Maria Antonia, Cruz, and Ramon.
- Gregorio was born about 1815, Cubero, New Mexico Territory. He died on 5 November 1883, St. Johns, Apache County, Arizona. He married Martina (Marta) Jaramillo before 1835, daughter of Alfonso Guadalupe Jaramillo, and Maria Micaela Garcia. Gregorio is listed as Head of Household in the 1850 New Mexico Territorial Census. His age is listed as 35, and his wife, Marta is age 30. Note: Martina Jaramillo’s parents, Alfonso Guadalupe Jaramillo and Maria Micaela Garcia were married in Albuquerque, New Mexico, San Feliipe de Neri Catholic Church on 15 June 1814.
- Cruz Rubi was born 15 June 1817, Cubero, New Mexico Territory. He died 2 September 1919, St. Johns, Apache County, Arizona. He married Maria Mauela de los Reyes Tafoya, 3 October 1848, Laguna, New Mexico Territory. Cruz and Reyes Rubi were my great-grandparents.
- Maria Antonia Rubi, was born about 1820, Cubero, New Mexico Territory. She married Pablo Duran on 28 February 1837. (Pablo is listed as the widower of Rafaela Chavez)
- Ramon Rubi, married Maria Concepcion Jaramillo, daughter of Juan Jaramillo and Juliana Vallejos.
Gregorio Rubi and Marta Jaramillo had 5 known children
- Maria Apolinaria Rubin – bap 33 July 1833, age 3 day da. of Gregorio Rubin and Marta Jaramillo. AP: Jose Maria Rubin and Juana Urbana; AM: Alfonso Jaramillo and Michaela Garcia. GP Jose de Jesus Castillo, and his wife Maria Ysabel Jaramillo
- Jose Dionosiso Rubi – b. about 1847, a resident of Cubero, the unmarried s/o Gregorio Rubi and Marina Jaramillo, deceased married Cyrilla Chaves, a res. of Cubero, unmarried daughter of Jose Maria Chavez and Maria Baca.
- Manuel Maximo Rubi – b 9 April 1849
- Estefana Rubi – b. about 1850, married Vitorio Chavez, a resident of Cubero on25 November 1867. Vitorio, was the unmarried s/o Francisco Mariano Chaves , decesed and Soledad Garcilla (sic), deceased, married Estebana (sic)Rubi, a res of Cubero, the unmarried d/o of Gregorio Rubi and Marta Jaramillo.
- Juana Rubi – b. about 1859, married James C. Hunt, no res. given, no information given, married Juana Rubi, no res given, the daughter of Gregorio Rubi and Marta Jaramillo. They married on 7 June 1878.
Gregorio Rubi died at age 64 in St. Johns, Apache County, Arizona. We estimate his date of birth to be 1815. Death Entry is as follows:
Parochial St. Johns the Baptist of Apache County, 5 November 1883. I convey this ecclesiastic death of Gregorio Rubi, spouse…Marta Jaramillo. death is neurological? but taken at 64 years…to be accustomed to renewed/good (went in peace?) Pedro Maria Badilla
Maria Antonia Rubi
Maria Antonia married Pablo Duran on 28 February 1837
28 Feb 1837 Pablo DURAN, wid/Rafaela CHAVES, m Maria An” (Antonia) RUBI, single, d/Jose Maria Rubi and Juliana Ruis of Los Padillas. Wit: Gregorio PADILA and D” (Don) Jose An” (Antonio) CHABES, & Juan TORES.
Page 81 of New Mexico Marriages and Baptisms San Augustin de la Isleta Church. “…….1726 to 1848”, Published by New Mexico Genealogical Society.
Ramon Rubi and Maria Jaramillo had 3 known children
- Juana Maria Rubi, b. 5 June 1855, Cubero, New Mexico Territory
- Maria Tiofila Rubi, b. 12 January 1858, Cubero, New Mexico Territory
Petra Maria Rubi, b. 19 June 1860, Cubero, New Mexico Territory
Resources: Hispanic Genealogy Research Center (HGRC), New Mexico Territorial Census – 1850 and 1870, Isleta (Diocese of Gallup) Baptismal and Marriage Records